Belahar's application

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Belahar's application

Post  Belahar on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:12 am

Greetings everyone,

My name is Wim, I'm 26 years old and live in Belgium. In between work, evening school, playing a WWII strategic tabletop game (once every 2 weeks) and a girlfriend, I recently started playing MapleStory again after a long, long break. Don't ask me why, somehow it just started to itch again.

I first started playing GMS in 2005, I think, and got to level 75 on my Hermit, aside of a level 50 Cleric and so on. I made a character on EMS when they banned all the European players from GMS, but didn't continue on EMS when they lifted it. After a while, I quit GMS and returned to EMS somewhere in 2008-2009 (it's pretty vague right now). I made a Fighter and got to level 4x, after which I made a Pirate, which I got to 84 before quitting in 2010 due to school. I started playing again last friday, on my Wind Archer xVinnYx, which is currently level 70, which I feel like is pretty decent considering I'm more lost due to all the changes and the revamp than anything else (and limited play-time during the weekend as my GF is around then).

During my stint on EMS (2009-2010), I was in NIARA, but I have no clue what happened to them. I do have a couple of them on FB, but I haven't reached out to them yet as I think most of them moved to other games. Why am I applying to HellBound then, when I only have a level 70 character (aside of the level 84 pirate which I don't plan to continue, and none of the Link Skill mules)? In a search to find a guild, our dear friend Mr. Google led me to the topic on this forum about the different guilds. I only checked out a few of them that contained links, but most of them seemed inactive or had guild requirements that I didn't meet. This forum didn't list such requirements, so I figured, why not give it a shot? I'm looking for a group of people to hang out with, train together, PQ together, ... Although my playtime can sometimes be limited due to work/school. Currently I'm in a not-so-busy period, with the holidays coming up and no exams, but I don't know what life will bring in 3-6 months time.

My plan for the moment is to get more familiar with the new things that are in place, get to a higher level as fast as I can while trying to get some mesos in my bank account. I will probably start some new characters in the near future, one will be with a friend of me who is looking for a game to play while he waits on the release of some new games (he mentioned GTA5 - although time spent on this character will be limited due to him being way more busy), but also making some Link Skill mules such as Mercedes and others that are usefull to support my Wind Archer.

I don't want to have anything to do with duped items, hacking and KS'ing of that sort. I want to play fair and square and just enjoy my time. While browsing (although pretty quickly) through the forums, I read that some channels are reserved for a guild to boss, using those channels also count as KS'ing. So I'd need some updating on which channels it is, so I don't offend any of the rules in place.

If you have any questions or would like a chat, just let me know when and where and I'll be avaible (although this week is still pretty busy aside of today - damn christmas festivities at work!)

Oh, before I forget, my Maple characters:
- BlastOfDeath, lv 84 Gunslinger (no longer in use)
- xVinnYx, lv 70 Wind Archer

Kind regards,

Wim aka xVinnYx

Edit:
Perhaps it's interesting to say something about my old hobby to get to know more about my personality. I used to play World of Warcraft Trading Card Game (WoWTCG in short), which is a card game you play in real life. You need to build a deck of cards around a hero you pick (class-specific aswell as "Good/Bad"). The goal of the game is to get your opponent's hero to zero health, using a varying arsenal of cards (creatures, equipment, skills).Anyway, the game isn't that important, I wanted to talk more about what I did for the game. I was a volunteer (judge, referee) for about 2,5 years at European events (doing 15+ total, about one every 2-3 months, ranging from 150-400 players). For 1,5 years I also managed a local player community of about 5-8 players (yes, the game wasn't as popular as it's more-known brother Magic: the Gathering or MtG :-P). During the last months of the game, I became more and more responsible for the Organised Play in Belgium. Due to the game being discontinued in August 2013 over a license issue between the producing company and Blizzard, most of the players quit with the game and so did I. I still miss those days, as I love to help out other people and organise things, making sure other people are having a blast. I'm hoping that I can contribute some of this to HellBound (in the end... Atleast when I'm more used to all the new things and the "end game content").

Last edited by Stephy on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:30 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Additional info which I just remembered :-))

Belahar
Noob
Noob

Back to top Go down

Re: Belahar's application

Post  Kimmy on Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:06 pm

Hey,
Welcome to the forums. Smile

I like your application.
It's well written and contains lots of information. 
Just wondering if you will play maple for a longer period of time?
We don't expect you to be online 24/7, but every now and then would be nice.
I am asking because you just came back and then everything still seems nice and all,
but most people get bored after two weeks and go inactive.

You can also visit our gfm (ch3fm6) to meet some members.
Have and chat with them and show us how nice you are!

Good luck with the application and happy mapling!
-Kim

"The beginning is the end, and the end is the beginning. Well then, let us begin again. And to each, their own tale."

Kimmy
Steel
Steel

Guild : HellBound
Joined Guild : 5-02-2014

Back to top Go down

Post  Belahar on Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:19 pm

Hey Kimmy,

Thanks. I see where you are coming from and I understand it. I don't really have a true answer to it, as I don't know for myself. I do plan to continue to play, but like I said, I can't say what life will bring over in 3-6 months. I am going to try to keep playing, but it might be 2-3x a week for a couple of hours. A lot has changed in EMS and from what I can tell, it looks like good changes (atleast in the lower levelling process - I don't want to speak about duped items (or hacks) that Nexon could adress as that is still somewhat vague for me, but I quickly read the topic to see what it was about, didn't fully understand it - atleast how you notice it's duped.). The changes keep it fresh for me, and I still have a lot of the new classes to explore (I think last I remembered was Aran coming out or scheduled to come out, but I'm not 100% sure).

I will try to drop by once I'm done with cooking, hopefully someone is there, and if not just drop me a whisper (probably will be leveling, but I'll make time ;-) ).

Belahar
Noob
Noob

Back to top Go down

Post  Kimmy on Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:50 pm

Thanks for you quick answer!

It's good that you looked up some changes. The leveling indeed goes faster.
In one point of vieuw this is a postive thing (not everyone wants to grind hours for lvl 30), 
but it may be not as challenging as it used to be. 
If you are ever wondering if an item is duped or not, just ask in the union chat.
Though there are certain items you should stay away from, for example duped phantom card.
Some people buy a duped one, throw a cube over it and it has other lines.
However that doesn't mean the card isn't duped anymore.

It's good to see you have an idea of what you're up to.
I wouldn't mind if you could for 2 months +, 
when you can go inactive you can just leave a notice and everything is fine.

I'm abit busy today, so you won't see me probably.
Tommorow I'll probably be in the gfm, hope to see you then.

Greetings,
Kim

"The beginning is the end, and the end is the beginning. Well then, let us begin again. And to each, their own tale."

Kimmy
Steel
Steel

Back to top Go down

Post  Kimmy on Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:26 pm

Sorry My maple crashed :l
Be back in an hour.

Kimmy
Steel
Steel

Back to top Go down

Post  Belahar on Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:07 pm

No problems Kimmy, I sent you a whisper, but when you didn't reply, I just carried on with my normal business. The last whisper was an accident, so no problems. Unfortunatly, I can't come online tomorrow due to a party at work. Maybe over the weekend, but I doubt it. After the weekend I should have some more free evenings :-)

I feel that the quick leveling for lower levels makes the game more appealing, as grinding for hours at a low level with little skills to use makes me feel weak. I like the fact that I now have multiple attack skills, so I can mix up my training a little bit (despite it maybe not being the most effective way) instead of spamming skill X or Y repeatedly for hours. I assume that the challenge is now just prolongued into getting to level 250 instead of the old level 200. Or atleast I hope :-)

Belahar
Noob
Noob

Back to top Go down

Post  Kimmy on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:47 pm

Yeah you are true. 
250 is the new goal now, but you'll need to grind alot for that.

Anyways I'm sorry for the whishper, either my maple already started crashing or I just missed it.
Enjoy your party tommorow and we'll have a talk later Wink .

Kimmy
Steel
Steel

Back to top Go down

Post  Belahar on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:53 am

No worries. If you were busy or didn't see it, it's no biggie. I got time :-)

Oh, one question on the side. Is it worth to do the Lord Balrog expedition? I tried it solo once yesterday, but died when he was at like 3-5% health, I think I missed some attack or spell of him. Now I can't enter it again, and there was another quest where I had to prevent it from reviving 200x (highly doubt it's worth the effort tho). Just read some old guide of it, seems like I screwed it a bit up with the damage reflect part, I  think.

Belahar
Noob
Noob

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheepie on Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:47 am

Love the app! What kind of WWII table top game is this you're talking about? I have a massive interest in board and card games, so that's cool Smile.

Give the guy a trial! Smile

Sheepie
Topaz
Topaz

Guild : HellBound!
Joined Guild : 15-09-2014

Back to top Go down

Post  Belahar on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:01 am

Hey Sheepie,

It's the Flames of War rules we are playing, in different scales (6mm and 15mm). Oh, I think we got a lot of similiar interests :-D One of my friends (made due to volunteering for WoWTCG, living in Berlin sadly) is a massive boardgame addict (once he had about 700 boardgames in his living room... Just nuts!). I try to visit him a couple times a year and just play boardgames every evening, it's just fun to play games you don't know at all and see all the different concepts returning (despite me usually losing, as they do know it - he has 4 boardgame evenings a week, the crazy guy!).

Belahar
Noob
Noob

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheepie on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:59 am

I had to look that up, but it seems that the game is in a lot of ways similar to Warhammer! I never got around to playing table-top games as I find them a little too expensive Smile3

A couple of my current favourites are: Dominion, Carcassonne & Stoneage. I used to play MtG at a very casual level, but no one else in my vicinity plays, so I quit Smile.

Having 700 games is just outrageous though Smile15 I would feel like being in 7th heaven

Sheepie
Topaz
Topaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Belahar on Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:56 pm

It's cheaper than Warhammer, atleast if you stick to 6mm. An army for that would cost you about 30€ if you don't buy the top-detailed figures. 15mm is a bit different, although I think I spent about 200-300€ on my army so far and I think I already overdid it for a starting army :-P You basically only use about 70 infantry, 4-7 tanks and some guns, while I believe I bought about 15-20 tanks, 300 infantry and some APC's :-P. I used to play Warhammer Fantasy, so FoW is somewhat cheap in comparison. WH is just ridiculous. My favorite boardgames are Ticket to Ride, Descent and Ascension. Other good ones that are on my buy-list are: Russian Railroads, Targi and Limes.

Don't fully understand Carcasonne (atleast a small part of it - the grass fields, I haven't played it besides on my iPhone/iPad) aswell as Dominion. I think I tried Dominion online a few times against a veteran, and it just wasn't fun. I switched to MtG after WoWTCG died, but it was difficult to feel a part of the group (about 30+ players in the store I organised my tournaments), so that also faded away. I play it occasionally with a friend, although he is more into Star Wars LCG (which is also fun, but I told myself to stay away of card games as they tend to be expensive over the course of years too - you don't want to know how much money I "lost" on my WoWTCG collection when the game ended, knowing I sold the collection for about 500€ total). Better to look at the future and get my own place :-)

It definetly is 7th heaven. Don't know how he manages to keep track where games X, Y or Z are located, but somehow, he does :-D

Belahar
Noob
Noob

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephy on Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:59 pm

Hey and welcome,
I really liked your application and the responds.
I'm also from belgium, so i wonder where you live?
Anyways i will vote yes for trial.

we must hurt in order to grow,
fail in order to know,
and lose in order to gain.

iWicked ~ 210 bishop
iStéphy ~ Nightwalker

Stephy
Bound To Hell
Bound To Hell

Guild : Absolution

Back to top Go down

Post  Belahar on Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:08 pm

Hey Stephy,

Thanks. Oh nice! :-) What a coincidence! Where are you from?

I'm born in Beringen (Limburg), but moved a year and 3 days ago (on my 25th birthday! :-D) to my own place in Geel (Antwerpen), to be closer to my job. I work at the "Hogeschool" (College? University of Applied Sciences?) Thomas More as a researcher (read: consultant) for the Horticultural sector - they grow tomatoes, paprika, strawberries, lettuce, ... in a greenhouse - to give answers related to their energy consumption, energy costs and so forth. Although, I'm considering getting another job, going to use the holidays to make some time for that.

Last edited by Belahar on Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More stuff I forgot... o.O)

Belahar
Noob
Noob

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephy on Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:39 pm

Nice one, beringen isnt far of where i live.
I live in lanaken aka near genk/maastricht.
And nice! I've studied orthopedagogiek in diepenbeek Smile
Will meet you in the gfm once i have time,
Boyfriend now here so yea !

we must hurt in order to grow,
fail in order to know,
and lose in order to gain.

iWicked ~ 210 bishop
iStéphy ~ Nightwalker

Stephy
Bound To Hell
Bound To Hell

Guild : Absolution

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheepie on Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:14 pm

Cool! I'm sure there is no one around here (North Yorkshire) that is into tabletop games, or at least not into anything less conventional than Warhammer. Both Carcassonne and Dominion are relatively easy to learn, but are games you'll get better at each time you play. Dominion has a steep learning-curve when it comes to its expansions.

Buddy me if you like mate, my new main is FlameSheep. See you ingame Smile

Sheepie
Topaz
Topaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Belahar on Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:22 pm

@Stephy, Oh nice, that's indeed not to far away :-) Have fun with the BF!

@Sheepie, will do once I'm back online - probaly saturday for a few hours, but I'm going to explain the game to my friend who felt a bit lost when he tried out EMS earlier. So most probably will be Monday, as the remainder of the weekend is quality time with the GF =) Feel free to add me on xVinnYx though.

Belahar
Noob
Noob

Back to top Go down

Post  Belahar on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:31 pm

Around what time are you guys usually in ch3fm6? I've quickly checked it a couple of times, but unfortunatly I didn't see anybody. Feel free to buddy me on xVinnYx or whisper me :-) I'd like to get to know you guys better!

Also made lv. 95 today Very Happy

Belahar
Noob
Noob

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan² on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:50 pm

Normally people are in ch 3 fm 6 between 8pm to 2am CET Smile

We are all unique in ways that some people dont understand.

Thanks Steph for making me this<3

Dan²
Adamantium
Adamantium

Guild : Fascination
Joined Guild : 4th of January 2015

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan² on Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:30 pm

Anymore opinions?

We are all unique in ways that some people dont understand.

Thanks Steph for making me this<3

Dan²
Adamantium
Adamantium

Guild : Fascination
Joined Guild : 4th of January 2015

Back to top Go down

Post  Kimmy on Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:36 pm

Yessss.
Spoke to him today nice guy Very Happy

Kimmy
Steel
Steel

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan the Almighty on Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:00 pm

I would like to see a few more people vote/give their opinion c:

Dan the Almighty
Silver
Silver

Joined Guild : June 14th 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  WobuffetLord on Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:25 pm

nice app gotta admit
and you are/were tcg player (which i was too)
seems neat but would like to chat with ya Razz

WobuffetLord
Topaz
Topaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Belahar on Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:30 am

I'll try to be in GFM later tonight. Hopefully I'll see some folks, usually when I pop by it's empty or people are AFK. If you leave some IGN's, I can whisper you when I'm around. Or feel free to whisper me on xVinnYx if you are around, I will gladly make time as I too want to get to know you guys better! :-)

Belahar
Noob
Noob

Back to top Go down

Post  Gloryfall on Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:10 pm

Hello Wim!

Wow, this application is very well written.
Í'll go for yes, haven't seen such a well written application in quite some time.

Gloryfall
Forum Hoe
Forum Hoe

Joined Guild : 10-2012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top